Who May Represent You in Federal Court

Federal Court judicial proceedings are complex. You are allowed to represent yourself or have a lawyer* represent you in your judicial proceeding (Rule 119, Federal Court Rules). A consultant (or any other person who is not a lawyer) may neither represent you in a Federal Court proceeding nor provide legal advice regarding your Federal Court judicial process.

* A lawyer who represents you in Federal Court must be a member in good standing of a law society (Bar) in Canada. If they are not a member in good standing, you should not use their services. You may confirm that the person offering assistance and advice with your Federal Court judicial process is a lawyer by checking the website of the law society for the province or territory in Canada where the lawyer works. If the lawyer works from outside Canada, they should tell you the Canadian province or territory where they are a member of a law society.

Law Society Listing: Most law societies let you check online to see if a person is a member in good standing. See listing of Law societies in each province and territory: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigration-citizenship-representative/choose/authorized.html#law-societies

On request, the Federal Court may in special circumstances allow a person who is not a lawyer to represent you when the interests of justice so require based on the specific facts of your case. Such a request may be made only by filing a motion. See How to file a motion.

For help finding a lawyer, or for information about the law, see:

Note: some of the legal services available via the above links are available only for those in financial need and who qualify for free or government-funded legal services.

Date modified: 2022-12-16

This is a Modal Popup Form